Natural Gas Safety 
 
 
  • Follow manufacturers’ directions or manuals for using and taking care of gas appliances. Seek professional help when necessary.

  • Have a fire extinguisher near any gas appliance. Use a carbon dioxide or a dry-chemical extinguisher for gas kitchen appliances.

  • Keep the pilot light of your gas range lit. If you extinguish it to save energy, a dangerous gas build-up can occur if someone accidentally turns on a burner.

  • Look for a certification seal when purchasing a new gas appliance. This ensures that the equipment design meets strict safety standards.

  • Never use your gas range to heat your home or apartment. The carbon monoxide fumes can put your family in serious risk, and any spark could ignite an explosion in the home.

  • Have your gas fireplace routinely serviced to ensure proper working order. Have a professional:

    • Adjust millivolt output.
    • Clean and adjust the glowing embers and logs for best appearance.
    • Clean the fan and related air circulation passages.
    • Clean the glass.
    • Check the batteries in the carbon monoxide detector.
    • Ensure vents are unobstructed.

Online Resources

natural gas safety
 
 
Follow Us