Developing renewable power sources - that is, energy generated from natural resources such as the sun, wind, water, and biomass fuels - is essential to our plan for the future. We’re determined to find new ways
to produce cost-effective, reliable, and clean energy for our customers in Illinois
Here are a few ways we’re expanding our renewable resources:
- Adding wind power to our generation portfolio by buying enough energy from Horizon Wind Energy’s Pioneer Prairie Wind Farm to serve 26,000 homes.
- Launching a solar initiative to evaluate the effectiveness and efficiencies of various solar power systems in our bi-state area.
- Educating the next generation about renewable energy, energy efficiency, and sustainability efforts at Ameren through the company's Energy Learning Center.
- Building a landfill gas-electric plant to turn methane gas into enough electricity to provide power to 10,000 homes.
- Encouraging customers to help develop renewable resources by purchasing renewable energy certificates and by supporting net metering for parallel operating in-dependently owned renewable generation from wind and solar.
- Increasing hydroelectric generation capacity at many of our plants.
To learn more about renewable energy at Ameren, visit: