Use your air conditioner or visit a cooling site
Keeping a window unit air conditioner running can cost as little as $1.50 per day. Yet every year people with working air conditioners become needlessly sick or die because of hot weather.
To save money in using your air conditioner:
No air conditioning? Find a cool place to stay.
- Keep the unit on one comfortable setting.
- Seal off unused rooms.
- Use a timer or programmable thermostat.
- Turn the thermostat up when you leave the house for several days.
- Draw shades and curtains on hot days and turn a fan on to keep air circulating.
- For more information, check out our energy tips.
Be a Heat Buddy
- get neighbors, friends or relatives to a cooling site