Ameren has long recognized the need to address the climate change challenge. We believe it is possible to achieve climate goals while still protecting consumer costs, and we believe these goals should be determined through a legislative, rather than regulatory approach.
Ameren has addressed the climate issue by:
- Investing in renewable energy such as our Maryland Heights Renewable Energy Center.
- Researching and educating consumers in solar and nuclear technologies such as our desire to work with the Department of Energy to enhance nuclear energy development in Missouri.
- Offering our Pure Power program.
- Purchasing renewable energy and carbon offset credits.
- Reusing ash in concrete manufacturing.
- Making our energy centers more efficient.
- Investing in a number of energy efficiency programs.
What we're doing now to achieve our climate goals:
- Since 2008, our carbon dioxide mass emissions have been reduced 20%.
- Ameren's greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions were nearly 14 million tons lower in 2012 compared to 2011.
- We are offsetting the equivalent of roughly two million tons of GHG emissions with our clean energy programs, such as renewables (wind, solar, methane recovery), energy efficiency and Pure Power.
View our Corporate Social Responsibility Report for more information on climate change and Ameren.