If the electricity goes out due to a winter storm, you might be in for a prolonged power outage as crews work through the harsh weather to get the power back on.
To help keep your family safe and comfortable during a winter storm long before one is forecasted:
- Prepare a storm kit with your family before severe weather strikes.
- Stay inside and dress warm.
- Close off unneeded rooms.
- When using an alternative heat source, follow operating instructions, use fire safeguards, and be sure to properly ventilate. Always keep a multipurpose, dry-chemical fire extinguisher nearby, and know how to use it.
- Block drafts at the bottom of doors to minimize cold air from entering the house.
- Cover windows at night.
- Keep a close eye on the temperature in your home. Infants and people over the age of 65 are more susceptible to the cold. You may want to stay with friends or relatives or go to a warming center if you cannot keep your home warm. Call 211 for a listing of these centers throughout our service territory.
- Learn how to manually open an automated garage door in case of an emergency.
- Watch for and avoid downed electrical wires. Call Ameren Illinois at 800.755.5000 or Ameren Missouri at 800.552.7583 to report downed wires.
for outage information if using a mobile device.
Find more information in our Safety section
or at SafeElectricity.org