Visitor Facilities at Bagnell Dam
Ameren Missouri dedicated a new scenic overlook on a hill overlooking Bagnell Dam. The scenic overlook located on Upper Power Plant Road provides a spectacular view of Bagnell Dam and the Lake of the Ozarks.
The overlook includes kiosks with information about the lake and dam, including a view of the Osage River valley from that location before the dam was built.
One of the original turbines used to power the dam’s electric generators is also on display. The giant turbine was removed from service and replaced with a new, more efficient, stainless steel turbine. The entrance to Upper Power Plant Road is located about one-half mile north of Bagnell Dam on Business Route 54.
At Bagnell Dam itself, Ameren Missouri has developed a fish and bird observation area in partnership with the Missouri Department of Conservation. This area is located along a walkway leading to the Osage Plant's main office on the downstream side of Bagnell Dam.
Perched on a wooded hillside north of Bagnell Dam, historic Willmore Lodge houses one of the best free
attractions at the Lake of the Ozarks. The lodge includes an interactive museum on the Lake explaining its history and the area's natural resources.
The log structure was built in 1930 as an administration building and lodge to house dignitaries visiting the Bagnell Dam construction project and the Osage Power Plant. Ameren Missouri reacquired the property and today leases it to the Lake Area Chamber of Commerce
for use as a visitor center and chamber offices.
The National Hydropower Association (NHA) honored Ameren Missouri with its prestigious Hydro Achievement Award
for developing the Willmore Lodge museum, along with the scenic overlook and other visitor facilities near Bagnell Dam.
The museum, which features exhibits on the past, present and future of the lake, completed it first full year of operation by attracting more than 25,000 visitors from 18 nations.
The entrance to Willmore Lodge is located on Business Route 54, about one-half mile north of Bagnell Dam, across from the entrance to Upper Power Plant Road.
Willmore Lodge is open from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays and from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. weekends. For more information, contact the Lake Area Chamber of Commerce at 800.451.4117 or 573.964.1008, or visit www.willmorelodge.com